Student Accommodation FAQs

Halls of Residence FAQs

Answers to some of your questions about student accommodation.

The halls we feature are owned by private companies who specialise in student accommodation. If you don't find the answer you need here, please visit their websites and contact them directly:

  1. Parker House  

  2. Keiller Court

  3. Merry Halls

  4. The Old Mill

Is Abertay your first choice (firm)?

If you have firmly accepted a conditional or unconditional offer to study with us in UCAS, you should receive an email inviting you to apply for student accommodation in Parker House by the end of March 2023.


Is Abertay your second choice (insurance)?

If Abertay is your second or insurance choice, you can’t apply for student accommodation until you decide you are definitely joining us.

So if you’re waiting for exam results in August, student accommodation options may be limited by then.

While we can't guarantee our student accommodation partner will have space, we'll give you information about other options. This means alternatives like renting privately, applying to other student accommodation providers or deferring your place to study at Abertay until the following year.

The Parker House website show their rooms are full. Am I too late?

Parker House may be full but there are other student accommodation options available.

This may mean sharing with students from other Dundee institutions, so check out the other halls on the Student rooms and halls page.

What is the arrangement between Parker House and the University?

We have a contractual agreement with Parker House which means all their rooms are reserved exclusively for Abertay students.

How do I book a room?

If you're a new student and have made us your first choice in UCAS, you will receive an email saying that our accommodation booking is open.

This means you can book rooms in Parker House which is exclusively for Abertay students.

We will email you a unique code. Then you book via their website using the code so they know you are coming from Abertay.

Returning students should apply directly online to the halls via their websites.

For the other halls, you book directly with the companies themselves, and we no special arrangements or rent discounts with them.

Will my lease be with the halls or Abertay University?

Your lease will be with the company who run the hall you are staying in, not the University.

How long will my lease be?

It depends. There are different lease times depending on the halls and rooms you choose.

Will I be sharing a room/flat only with Abertay students?

If you are in Parker House, you will be sharing with Abertay students only.

If you are in other student accommodation, you may be sharing a flat with students from other Dundee institutions.

How do I pay my rent?

You pay direct to student accommodation provider and set this up as part of your application process. We currently only have special rent rates with Parker House which is exclusively for Abertay students.

Please check the other accommodation provider websites for details:

  1. Keiller Court
  2. Merry Halls
  3. The Old Mill


Does the rent include utility bills?

Yes, the rent charge covers the wifi, electricity, gas and water costs. It also includes basic contents insurance cover and services such as 24/7 security if they provide that. You need to buy your own TV licence if you watch TV on any device. Students don't pay council tax.


Can I transfer if I want to move to another residence?

No, unfortunately this isn't possible as you sign a contract with a specific provider and they are all different.

If you have any issues with your flat or flatmates, please speak to a member of staff working for the management company in your residence who will do their best to help you resolve any issues.

Do I have to buy a TV licence?

Yes. You need a licence if you watch television programmes on any device. If you do not buy one you could be prosecuted and fined. Please go to the TV Licensing website for more information.

Will I be able to access the internet from my room?

Yes. There is free wifi and often a broadband connection in each bedroom.

Can I smoke in my bedroom?

No. Smoking is strictly prohibited in every part of the residence buildings at all times. This includes vaping.

If you wish to smoke, cigarette bins are usually provided outside the building but within the secure perimeter of the complex.

Abertay University has a strict no smoking policy throughout the campus as well.

Are there any parking spaces?

Contact the halls for this information. Some do, and they are usually spaces which you'll need to pay for.

Can I pay rent in instalments?

Yes. Rent is usually paid monthly. You'll set this up as part of the application process.

What types of rooms are available?

Find out the different room types on the student rooms & halls page or on their websites:

  1. Parker House  
  2. Keiller Court
  3. Merry Halls
  4. The Old Mill

What fittings are included ?

Bedroom: Bed, bedside cabinet, over-bed light, pin board, desk, storage space, bookshelves, drawers.

Kitchen/Lounge areas: TV, microwave, fridge freezer, cupboards, hob/oven and extractor, some also have sofas and vacuum cleaners.

This may change depending on the room type and hall you decide to go for.


What is not provided?

Bedding, crockery, cutlery, kitchen utensils, toaster, kettle, iron and ironing board, dustpan/brush, mop/bucket, a TV licence if you plan to watch TV.

How many people will I share an apartment with?

That depends on the room and hall you select. Find out more on the student rooms and halls page.

What happens if I want to leave part way through the tenancy?

You can leave your accommodation at any time. BUT whenever you leave, you may be liable for the full amount of rent for the full period of your lease. It depends on the terms of your contract.

You need to discuss that with the company running the hall you are living in.

Is there any security?

Most halls have the following:

  • 24-hour security
  • CCTV system
  • Electronic fob entry system
  • Security door entry to each block with intercom
  • Bedroom door locks.

All windows have restricted opening for security and safety reasons.

Is there bicycle storage?

Yes, usually, and it is free of charge. Check on the website of the hall you've chosen for full details.

Is general maintenance provided?

Yes, the onsite management office in your hall will be able to resolve any maintenance issues you may have. They also often have a 24-hour emergency service for any out of hours emergency issues.

Pause carousel

Play carousel